The Atkins diet can seem a little complicated but its really not that hard if you have a list of foods you can eat.
Note that the Atkins diet is carried out in phases:
- Phase 1 – Jump start your diet by cutting almost all carbs….only 20g per day.
- Phase 2 – Getting closer, introduce a few more carbs….Up to 30g per day
- Phase 3 – Getting very close, introduce more carbs….Up to 50 – 60g per day
- Phase 4 – maintain your ideal weight but keep an eye on the carbs….Adjust your carb intake to maintain weight.
Below is a list of foods that are acceptable on the Atkins diet.
Atkins Phase 1 Food List
Phase 1 is the initial phase that jump starts your weight burning sequence so it is a little harsh at first. You need to stay on phase 1 for around 3 weeks. Avoid sugars and carbs, limit carbs to 20 grams.
- Fats and oils
- 2 cups of tea or coffee per day
- 3 – 4 ounces of cheese per day
- 1/2 cup of foundation vegetables
- 1 Tablespoon of herbs and spices, no sugar!
- 2 Tablespoon of salad dressing
Atkins Phase 2 Food List
So you’ve done your time on phase 1 so you should be seeing some results. you can now move onto phase 2 and start adding in some carbs. You will stay in phase 2 until you are within 10 pounds of your target weight. Add five of the following into your phase 1 diet to make it a phase 2 diet!
- 5 ounces of cheese
- 4 ounces of yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons of peanuts
- 2 Tablespoons cashew nuts
- 2 Tablespoons pistachios
- 1/4 Cup of fruit
- 4 Ounces of tomato juice
- 1/4 cup of legumes
Atkins Phase 3 Food List
Once you get within ten pounds of your ideal weight you can move onto phase 3. Phase 3 is another increase in carbs, your weight loss will slow down but you are getting closer to your ideal weight.
Add any of the following into your diet to move onto stage 3.
- 1/2 Cup of starchy vegetables
- 1/2 Cup of fruit
- 1/2 Cup of Grains
Atkins Phase 4 Food List
Once you reach your goal weight you can move onto stage 4. Stage 4 is about maintaining your ideal weight and by now you should be seeing that a healthy diet is all about carb control. To many carbs and your body stores them as fat reserves.
In stage 4 you can add in starchy veg, fruit and grains but still be wary of the balance, too many carbs will see you back at stage 1!